In context, this is a remarkable episode. Unfortunately, I forced my brother to watch it as his first ever Doctor Who story, and it was less than impressive to him. Thankfully I reeled him in with other episodes, but lesson learned--don't start someone in the Whoverse with a fanservice episode devoted to helping us cope with the loss of Nine and the beginning of Ten.
Ten! He looks like such a baby at the start of his journey. His hair doesn't even stand up right. So adorable.
But the real hero of this story is RTD, the writer of Doctor Who (seasons 1-4). He makes Rose into the audience, hurt that Nine is gone and dubious that anyone could ever take his place. She, and we, wonder if Ten is the same man with a different face, or is he someone else entirely? Can we trust him?
I think one of the Doctor's biggest faults is this: he didn't tell Rose about regeneration. He keeps that secret to himself, and can you imagine Rose's trauma? At the end of season 1, she thinks her beloved Doctor is dying. Dying! And has no reason to think otherwise. Then suddenly light shoots from him hands and face, and he's someone else! Before she can get any solid evidence, he's unconscious, leaving her to sort through everything on her own.
As if that weren't enough for Rose to deal with, the Earth is being taken over by aliens. This is one of my favorite Rose episodes. It so obviously shows how she developed last season and hints at how she will continue to grow in the second. Throughout much of season 1, she relied on the Doctor to take care of her. Rightfully so for the most part, because she knows nothing of alien politics or of fighting. She stepped up in the finale and wiped out the Daleks, but honestly, even with that, I think she would have regressed to letting the Doctor take care of things for her except for one important fact: he can't.
Isn't that so true? We mostly don't grow until we're forced to. And Rose does such a great, terrible job. When she stands before the invading army and shakily throws every bit of alien knowledge at them, it doesn't work. She doesn't save the world. But she tries. This is what I love about Rose. She gets in situations hopelessly over her head, but she doesn't break down. She stands. She exemplifies courage so wonderfully--that courage isn't being unafraid, but it is acting despite fear.
Okay, enough fangirling about Rose. There's also Mickey and Jackie! They've grown on me throughout this rewatch. I especially love Jackie interacting with the Doctor, rambling off all the ways she can help him until he just yells at her to shut up, and then she gets offended, but helps him anyway.
And the Doctor. I read somewhere how season 1 was the story of the Doctor and Rose falling in love, and season 2 is the story of them being in love. It's quite obvious now that I've seen them several times. Throughout season 1, there is always a push-pull between the two of them. There are innuendos (Nine saying he can "dance" and Rose asking him to "dance" with her). But until she saves his life, then he returns the favor by kissing her and saving hers, it's not official.
While Rose is dealing with "is this my Doctor?" Ten has all those memories. When Rose begs his unconscious body to save her, he immediately sits up and saves the day. When Rose is unsuccessfully negotiating with the aliens, Ten strolls out of the TARDIS, throws a wink Rose's way, and swashbucklingly saves the day. Like he does.
And at the end, when Rose is finally starting to see that he is the same Doctor, though happier and more trusting, they cuddle up together, pointing at the stars, choosing their next adventure.
Oh, and Christmas dinner? Remember when Nine angrily told Rose that she could either eat with her family or go with him? She had to choose one or the other, and no way was he stooping to hanging out with family. Now Ten joins in the fun, eating and laughing and partying with the in-laws. As is constantly referenced in the show and in fandom, Rose changed the Doctor. She met a broken, hurting man and loved him (first non-romantically, which I think is an important distinction). She helped him grow, trust, and enjoy life again.
That is why I ship Rose/Doctor.
All this, and I didn't really mention the plot. It's fun! The return of Harriet Jones is fantastically fun. And I love, love, love how Ten switches from joy to judgment when he realizes she had Torchwood destroy the retreating alien ship. He destroys her career. And the great thing is, I completely understand both of their actions. Harriet had to shoot the ship. Ten had to punish her. I agree with them both, even though they disagree. RTD is so fantastic at writing moral dilemmas.
On to the honeymoon stage, where Rose and Ten frolic through fields of alien adventures, giggle at each other, and are overall nauseatingly adorable. I love it.
Hello, Ten.

No comments:
Post a Comment