When I was first watching Doctor Who, I would return to the library each morning and fill Laura in on my opinions. Since I had really fallen for the show in the last couple episodes, I only had one real complaint. The alien monsters. They were not scary at best, laughable at worst. We discussed how the over-the-top costumes always made it more ridiculous, and Laura assured me that coming up, there was an episode that would scare the pants off me.
This is that episode (two-parter).
A child wearing a gas mask, turning up places and asking, "Are you my mummy?" That doesn't sound so terrifying, right? WRONG. Oh my word, I was blankets-up-to-my face scared.
Of course, this plot also has maybe the happiest ending of all. "Everybody lives!" Never has the Doctor been so joyous. This is really his turning point, when he starts to believe that the Time War will not forever burden him with unspeakable guilt and shame. Nope, all the guilt and sadness comes back at the end of season 2. But for now, the Doctor is happy! And I think the joy of the end of the story wouldn't be nearly so huge if it hadn't been for the dark, scary lead up.
+ OTHER THINGS I LIKED +
+ Doctor/Rose. Duh. This is the first episode where I was sure I wasn't shipping them without their consent. When the Doctor and Rose are flirtily talking about dancing (ahem, yeah sure, dancing), and Rose offers her hand? Ooo la la. Rose is starting to see the Doctor as a romantic possibility, and while the Doctor fell for her first, he's also super awkward about it. "I'm resonating concrete, can't dance now" basically.
Until they do start to slow dance, gazing into each other's eyes so intently that they don't even realize they've been teleported onto Jack's ship.
+ JACK! I love Captain Jack Harkness. He is flirty (with anyone and everyone), bold, a little bad, and very funny. I actually like him quite a bit more when he shows up on Doctor Who than when he is leading his own show Torchwood. In Doctor Who, he has a joie de virve, whereas when he is the hero of Torchwood, he mostly angsts. Give me humor over brooding anyday.
+ Doctor/Rose/Jack. Not in a threesome. Even if Jack would be down with that. Nope, I like them as the TARDIS team. In fact, they are probably my favorite! Three people on board is the best, I think, because each relationship sheds light on the others. For instance, I don't think the Doctor would have manned up and starting showing his love for Rose nearly so soon if it hadn't been for Jack swinging in and flirting with her.
"I'll dance with you, Rose," says handsome Jack with a smile.
"Er, nope, look! I remembered how to dance! Dance with me, Rose!" says the big-eared, big-nosed Doctor.
Of course I ship them. Men who are boys and barely know how to express themselves without going overboard? All over that mess.
+ Nancy! She is a fantastic one-episode (two-parter) protagonist. She's ominous at first, showing up out of nowhere. She mocks the Doctor's face lovingly, like you do. She takes care of orphaned kids by stealing food, teaching them manners, and helping them flee. And she's carrying around this big awful secret that is literally haunting her. AND THEN. And then the Doctor solves the problem, and everybody lives! Have I already mentioned how awesome that was? Yes? It was awesome.
- OTHER THINGS I DID NOT LIKE -
- The cliffhanger between episodes. Really? All you have to do is tell them to go to their room? What an anti-climax.
That is all that comes to mind. The episodes are just flying now!
Hehehe! I shall forever remember the night that you scared me to death for 1.5 hours and then made me cry for the next 45 minutes.
ReplyDeleteWas I bullying you or were we watching Doctor Who? :)
ReplyDelete