Thursday, May 26, 2011

RAAARG

Pet peeve #274:

When people say incredibly racist things, then add, "Not that I mind, of course."

I SEE THROUGH YOUR LIES, ASSHAT.  And yes, those people totally deserve that name.  The sad thing is, do they even see their lies?  UGH.  At least own up to your racism.  And then, you know, GET OVER IT.


Edited for balance:

Epic love #274:

THIS VIDEO!  Whedeonverse women FTW!  My word, Joss is just...excellent.

3 comments:

  1. Someone last weekend told me that we have too many lazy Indians and that so many of them are drunk and there are so many casinos . . . I felt like saying, "Hello. I'm Native American. Tell me how you really feel."

    I don't think I've ever been so angry at racism in my life, and I get pretty angry. There may or may not have been tears involved.

    And now I have successfully used your comment place as my personal therapy couch. Thanks, Tricia. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, that video is great. I highly support the disproportionate amount of Faith in it. However, I am very sad that there wasn't much Zoe or River kicking butt. Saffron has nothing on them!

    Okay, I have now successfully transformed your comment section into a therapy couch AND a fangirl rant site. I'm sorry. I'll be done now . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. The negative: I KNOW! Are people completely unaware of their racism? I mean, I know that I struggle with prejudices and snap judgments based on race/gender/age/etc. But when I say something stupid, I try to catalogue it and never say it again.

    The story of what made me snap: "My son's first girlfriend was really awful. She never talked to me or said hi when she came to her house. Now she's in college and dating a dark man, so....Not that I care, of course!" BECAUSE DATING A "DARK MAN" PROVES THAT SHE REALLY IS HORRIBLE??? Ugh! I need to work on my confronational skills, but I didn't know how to say anything that wouldn't make the whole situation even more awkward. But maybe awkward is an okay price to pay?

    And the positive: Disproportionate Faith is always welcome! It was my understanding that the video is kind of focusing on the unsung women heroes/antiheroes of the Whedonverse. Hence no River or Zoe.

    ReplyDelete