Saturday, May 21, 2011

Spending Money Before the Rapture

OMG guys.  Only two hours and forty-five minutes more for the Rapture to take place!

I have to admit, one thing I like about this end-of-the-world junk is the snark it brings out of people!  Alex Day made a hilarious "last" vlog, in which he, as an atheist, calls out the crazies on their hypocrisy.  Because if Jesus doesn't know when the last day is, then of course some dude can figure it out.  And anyway, I don't think there'll be a rapture, so.

But I had a wonderful last day.  I finally went out with Marianne, an awesome woman from work.  We went to Re, a store of fantastic things made out of recycled materials.  SO COOL.  I found a mind-blowing purse with a clasp that is a seatbelt.  It was piles more expensive than I would usually pay for a purse (okay, it was $90.  I KNOW).

Marianne told me that probably Martha and Lazarus outfitted Jesus with some rocking, durable sandals, so spending money on something that will last a long time isn't awful.  That would not have convinced me, but then she reminded me that it was our last day on earth.

And...that sold me?  Hahaha.  Partly I like the idea of keeping the purse as this forever remembrance of the day the Rapture came and went.  Remembering to stay humble, to not pretend that I have more knowledge of God than I really do.  But also I realized that whenever I do die, or Jesus returns, I'm not going to care about money sitting in my bank account.  No need to throw it around, but a little fun is good.

I think this is my next step in dealing with materialism.  I have this gut reaction to spending any money ever.  I hate the reckless spending I see in my family.  But I do think there's truth to the fact that God created us to enjoy life, to enjoy beauty, to enjoy creations.  So here's my new plan.  It's okay to spend money on myself, so long as I also spend money on others.

I don't want to be ruled by money, and I don't want to be ruled by selfishness.  So I will buy presents for friends, and I will buy nice new clothes when my old clothes are ruined, and I will give tithes to church, and I will give money offerings to friends who are serving God overseas, and I will buy a purse.

Is this all just justification for buying a purse?  I mean, maybe.  But I honestly don't feel bad about it, especially considering I used my last purse for three years, and if I get that kind of mileage out of this one, well....paid off, I'd say.  And okay, that was an excuse.  But the materialism thing....I'm still struggling with it and figuring it out.

But can't you be just as much a slave to money if you avoid it as if you give in to it?

I guess my modus operandi now is to give to others as often as I give to myself.  We'll see how this goes!

Two hours and thirty minutes!  Should we have a party tomorrow to celebrate the continuance of life?

Edited to add:  OH NOES!  I missed it!

1 comment:

  1. I think that every student should be required to take Personal Financial Management before leaving Union. One of the best things about it is that we discussed the different kinds of love of money--how spending money is one kind, but hoarding, making, investing, etc. can all be a form of love of money too.

    So, all that goes to say, I totally agree. It drives me crazy when Christians don't spend their money any differently than non-Christians, but I do think that once in awhile it's okay to spend money for ourselves to enjoy the things God has put in the world. Like cool purses :-D

    ReplyDelete