One year ago today, I flew from Senegal to the United States. THIS BOGGLES MY MIND. For one, I never expected to still be in Peoria after a year. For two, it seems like way longer than a year. For three, it doesn't seem that long since I walked the sandy roads of Fatick. Hence the boggle.
I figure the best approach to an anniversary is to consider the past, present, and future, right? Onward!
Past: I kind of loved living in Senegal. It took me awhile, but I must have reached that point, because now I can only look back through rose colored glasses. I was at my healthiest in Senegal (physically, emotionally, and spiritually). I was probably at my happiest too. Although I am now remembering all the times I would get weepy from skyping with friends or mopey due to culture shock. HOWEVER. I have a lot of great stories from Senegal. There were bugs in the shower, compost heaps that got eaten by invading goats, community platters of food, and spastic dancing.
Present: If you at all keep up with my blog, you know my opinion of Peoria flip flops like a waffle. (No, I don't mean twice, it was a poor analogy, okay??) The thing is, Peoria looks perfect on paper. I have friends, I have a job, I have things to fill my free time. But I don't know if my friends love me as much as I love them, I wonder if I could be doing a more fulfilling job elsewhere, and sometimes my free time feels like it's choking me. So. Conflicted feelings FTW!
Future: I will probably be in Peoria for another year, since I've already committed to a Slovenia mission trip next spring (and WHAT, Peoria for two years? HOW DID THAT HAPPEN and will I survive?) Hopefully I will move out of my parent's house, and life will get better. Hopefully I will invest in my junior high class (tonight I had some nice bonding with Daeja, so that's looking pretty good). Hopefully I will feel secure in my friendships, or make new ones, or just go live in a cave like a hermit because I refuse to be pleased. And then! Hopefully God will lead me to some kind of overseas thing, and I will be brave enough to go, and it will be as awesome as Senegal (or awesomer! I am always okay with more awesome!).
Senegal changed me probably more than anything I've yet experienced. I was starting to be more confident in college, but it was Senegal that really made me self-assured and independent. That's what moving to a new continent by yourself will do, apparently. I'm so grateful for my five months there. I'm in love with the friends I made there, and I can't wait to reunite with them in July. I'm so glad I'm not the person I was before Senegal, because I always want to get better and deeper and stronger.
Bring it, future!
No comments:
Post a Comment