Oh, Jackson. Home of my heart, hyperbolize etc. But really, as I was driving down I-55 on Friday, I kept grinning like a fool. And once there, driving over the bypass, cutting through Union, wandering the streets downtown....I MISS IT SO MUCH.
Jackson is where I am free. Jackson is where I am independent. Jackson is where I became the person I am now.
It helps that I got to see all of my Jackson friends this trip. First I stopped by Jennie and Dusty's. Jennie kept foisting delicious food and drink on me, and later proved how well she knew me. Tim was going to sell me his camera while I was in Jackson, and Dusty told me all about how he could probably find better deals online. I really did believe him, and said I might ask for like, $50 off. Jennie turned from the stove and said, "But you're really going to pay full price." I cracked up, because I had this idea of me being super saver and assertive, and Jennie knew that was utter crap before I did. (btw, she was right, but I don't even care because the camera is so pretty and shiny!)
The kids demanded I play with them, and am I the only person who finds adorable children maddening? I want to talk to Jennie, but they're so. freaking. cute. So I play, and I love it, because they're adorable! But then I want to talk to Jennie and Dusty, and they still want to play! And I can't say no because of their squench little faces. Though really, this trip felt like an excellent balance of adult to kid ratio.
Then the sky went dark. Hannah and I stood at the door, and I tried to calm her down.
H: It's so dark! There's going to be a tornado!
T: No no. They sky is just gray because it's going to rain. Thunderstorms are fun! They won't hurt you in the house.
H: It's a tornado!
T: No. I promise, it's okay.
H: It's a tornado siren!
T: No, that's the wind. See, it's just howling like....oh. Yup, that's a tornado siren.
We booked it to the under-the-stairs closet, which Jennie had just emptied. Dusty was on his way home from work, so the four of us sat with pillows and flashlights until the radio said it was okay.
I admit there are parts of Jackson that I definitely don't miss.
Friday night I ate breakfast for dinner with Erin and Stephanie. I got caught up on what their post-graduation plans are. I meant to show them a picture from Vancouver (I never talk about that mission trip, but it was kind of fantastic), which necessitated scrolling through a bunch of freshman year pictures. Stephanie said, "That was before us, when your life was boring!" I nodded, but what? Freshman year rocked the skylimits. Every day was fun and every night was funner.
And that was perfect to remember, because I met Ashley for breakfast Saturday morning. Turns out I might get to be a bridesmaid before the year is out, and that will mean two of my three Craig 3 sisters will be married! WHAT? That's so beyond crazy I cannot actually imagine it, but also it's very sweet and I'm happy for them.
With my new camera in hand, we went to the ag something or other, where I discovered the utter joy of shooting a close-up of a flower from six feet away. Also I took a lot of pictures of Ashley looking snarky, just as I like her. Then we went downtown, and she showed me the alleyway where she takes family pictures (hahaha, that sounds sketch, but really it isn't).
Unsure what to do, we called the movie theater and found out Something Borrowed was playing in two minutes, so off we went. UGH. Craptacular movie. With maybe fifteen minutes to spare, the movie was awesome, and I cuddled into Ashley with pure joy. And then the movie dropped the ball. No, it stomped on the ball and smeared poo on it. It was awful. We spent the last half hour together yelling at each other. Not in argument, but in shared disgust of the movie.
Then it was back to Erin and Tim's. Bruce and then Stephanie joined us. We were planning to go to a Turkish restaurant in Nashville, but every else was too busy and/or tired to do so. That sucked, but we ended up spending an hour in Books A Million (where I once spent two weeks dropping by to drink their Ghiradelli mint chocolate coffee) then eating Thai food.
We crashed back at the married housing and discussed deadly things in Thailand, where Bruce will be living in a couple months. He was largely unconcerned. The party ended around 11:30 when Tim and Erin regaled me with pranks they'd pulled on his brother, and I was mildly worried what I would find in their guest bed. That ended up being totally fine, but when I knocked on their bedroom door the next morning to say goodbye, it was a weird shock to see them in bed together. Covered in a sheet, THANK GOODNESS, but still. Marriage. Weird.
Leaving was a bit of a suckfest, but I stopped by the Monahan's on my way into town, like I used to do when Peoria was temporary and Jackson was fulltime. I'm glad I did, because I showed Abby my new camera, tried to twirl David's cap guns, and watched Community with Abby. They are a nice reminder that I have friends and fun times in Peoria too.
Why yes, Tricia, I do find my adorable children maddening. I will tell you though, that even when you've not been here for a long time, the kids still play with you. They set out food for you in their pretend picnic, and when they divide out things, they'll give you one, too. They love you. So do I. (And when I say that you haven't been here for a long time, I know of at least 2 occasions they've done that this wee before they ever had a thought that you might be visiting on Friday.) I'm glad you like your camera. Dusty said, "Enjoy" with a little smirk.
ReplyDeleteI saw this last night and almost read it this morning, but then I waited until just now to actually read it because I knew it would make me miss Jackson so much, and I needed to be in a good mood when that happened :-)
ReplyDeleteI went with family to see "something borrowed" for my birthday, so ready to love it. Even when I saw it headed in directions I wasn't happy with....I was ready for redemption. Maybe, just maybe, trip to London....love proffession.....will she declare her love to cute Jim? NO. WHAT THE HECK? I left that movie theater so mad, and I really thought "who could possibly be okay with what just happened." After I declared my passionate hatred, my cousin said "No way, she totally picked the right guy!". I said "WHAT?" And then just stopped, because what do you even say to that?
ReplyDeleteLiz--I KNOW RIGHT?? The idea that anyone could be happy with that ending blows.my.mind.
ReplyDeleteFor a while I thought it was going to be a smart, honest movie. Jim/Ethan laid it all out! The dude was a douche! He was keeping the best of both worlds without choosing! THAT IS NOT ROMANTIC. Meanwhile, Jim/Ethan had all her best interests at heart. He wasn't afraid to hurt her if it was for the best. And he loved her! But she just patted him on the back???
Ugh. I hated everyone but Jim/Ethan.