Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Let's See Where This Takes Us

I have no plans for what to write about.

I had K-1 LEGO club today, which means they were adorable and hilarious.  One boy told me that if Obama didn't beat the Germans, we would all get bloody.  I didn't know if he thought he was stating facts or not, but I didn't want to go into any kind of details about the war, so I just said, "Is that so?" and turned my attention to Boy With Glasses who, instead of making an animal, was making a machine that makes animals.

I need to cut my fingernails.

Why can girls have long fingernails but boys can't?

Why are so many of our gendered social constructs the way they are?  The kids in LEGO club said boys couldn't like pink, and that's stupid.  What does that have to do with anything?  So I said it was better for everyone to like all colors, and they just kind of nodded like they didn't care.

David says Alec Baldwin is useless now that he is fat, but I love him on 30 Rock.  Someone also said that 30 Rock was a racy show, and....is it?  I've watched (and loved) the first two seasons, and I haven't noticed anything obviously worse than normal.  Maybe I have a higher tolerance than most (okay, I know that is true), but I don't think its abnormal for TV.  And it's HILARIOUS.  Oh, Jack Donaghy and Liz Lemon.  Yours is a relationship for the ages--always platonic and respectful, if sometimes insulting.  So nice to have a healthy male/female relationship on a show that never veers into sexual tension just for the ratings.

They've now cast Katniss, Peeta, and Gale for Hunger Games.  I've decided not to freak out until I see pictures of them in character.  And I heard that the script is all kinds of awesome.  They even added something I really wanted!  They're going to cut between the games to people watching the games.  YAY!  I always thought that would be fascinating to see. 

However, I also heard they've messed with the flashback bread scene.  I don't know how or why, but that makes me nervous. 

I wish Peeta were my boyfriend. 

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE 30 Rock! Especially the first few seasons. I think they're excellent at being intellectual and not lazy with their humor. I haven't entirely figured out how to articulate this, but basically, I like the fact that they can make jokes about things like race and sex and gender without racism, sexism, or sexual perversion being the thing that is funny. I feel like in The Office or Family Guy, the audience laughs at the racism or laughs at the sexism as if their existence is humorous. And then people say, "But in making them awkward and putting those situation in there, they're pointing out that they're problems." But how much of a problem is it if we're laughing so hard at it, really? And somehow 30 Rock seems to avoid this, mostly. Though I haven't decided if I agree that it keeps happening as the show goes on. I got less critical as I watched through later seasons.

    My goodness, Tricia. I owe you an apology for the sheer volume of gushing you're getting from me this evening. I get I'm in a manic gushing mode and you're setting off all my triggers ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And by "get" I mean "guess." :-)

    ReplyDelete