Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Soulmates

You know when you're listening to someone, and they say something profound, and you think, "Whoa.  I didn't realize you were deep.  That is...just how I feel."  And you listen to them more carefully from then on, and they consistently make you either deliriously happy or pull on your heart like only someone special can do.

I call that finding a soulmate.

And I have found mine.  Adele, you are my new Mumford and Sons (yeah, I was totally talking about music).  Also I'm lying, because no one has yet replaced Mumford and Sons as my musical soulmate.  But Adele has definitely taken Ingrid Michaelson's place.

What I love about Adele is her reaction to breakup and heartache.  In nearly all the songs on her 21 album, she mentions "remember me" or "don't you remember"...and that's just exactly it.  When friendships or crushes die, what I wonder most is, "But don't you remember this event or that conversation?  Wasn't that important?"  And then I think, "I hope for the rest of your life, you'll look back and think of me.  You'll remember that I was a person in your life, that knowing me made a difference."

Maybe Adele and I are narcissistic (which is a very viable possibility).  But I love hearing someone sing my emotions.

Favorite song:  "Someone Like You."  After describing the pain of seeing the person she loved loving someone else and being happy, she says:

"I hate to turn up out of the blue univited
But I couldn't stay away, couldn't fight it
I had hoped you'd see my face, and that you'd be reminded
That for me it isn't over.

Nevermind
I'll find someone like you
I wish nothing but the best for you too
'Don't forget me,' I begged
'I'll remember,' you said
Sometimes it lasts in love
But sometimes it hurts instead."

It's the "Nevermind, I'll find someone like you" that makes me want to bear hug Adele and commiserate together.  What else can you do when the "perfect" person doesn't want you?  You have to find someone else just like them, because they weren't the problem.  You were.

Thanks, Adele, my new girl angst soulmate!

1 comment: