Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Senegal Meeting

Bill asked me to stay after handbells to be at the Senegal meeting for the Wineinger's trip.  I admit to being a little miffed at having my evening cut out, which is stupid for two reasons:

1.  God has been giving me lots of opportunities for me to use my experience in Senegal to help others, and I'm pretty sure that is part of Him continuing to use me.  I've been able to help two teams from Woodland, as well as two total strangers (friends of friends), and an old preschool friend who is going to South Africa, not Senegal, but still.  Before I left Fatick, I prayed that God would use my time there for something good, and what could be better than helping other missionaries prepare for their work?

2.  I love any reason to be a part of Senegal.  I...feel conflicted a lot of the time.  Because I don't have a heart for Senegalese people.  I care desperately for Lamba, but honestly, that's the extent of my emotion.  Of course I love the country and the city and the people, but not in a supernatural way, I don't think.  My desire to go back in November had more to do with my missionary friends than my national friends.

And anyway, living in Fatick actually confirmed my heart for Asia.  I ADORED Yayoi.  I loved Laina.  I looked forward to our parties, and I wanted to learn their language, and I want to visit them again some day.  Funny that God took me to Africa to reaffirm my passion for Asia.

BUT.  I do love Senegal, and having the chance to relive memories of my time there is always welcome.

Like sitting in dead traffic leaving Dakar and buying bananas out the window.
Or Kim driving crazily through potholes after I'd hurt my back, and Nate smiling at me in pity until he told his mom to slow down.
Or walking around in Mame Codou's back streets, no idea where I was, but generally walking in one direction.
Or sitting in Holly's living room, watching Modern Family, or the Superbowl, or listening to Matt Chandler's podcast.
Or coming home while our landlord was there, and him harassing me about my abysmal French.
Or hanging out with Anta alone for five minutes when she was visiting Fatick, and singing Happy Birthday to her in French, and giving her my sucker. 
Or driving home on the moto at night when the cold air rushed into my face like a cool breeze.
Or sitting on the Forsythe's roof, taking advantage of the power outage to look at the stars, with Melody curled up in my lap.
Or Ethan curled next to me on the trampoline while we watched Avatar on the screen and projector.
Or Nate hugging me goodbye twice.
Or Kim laughing uproariously, and pointing at Liz because always Liz made her laugh.
Or Travis sneaky smiling with his eyes because once again, Liz had done something funny (or was the butt of his joke).
Or walking into the kitchen while Liz was dancing at the sink with her ipod in her ears.
Or not even noticing the layer of dirt on my computer, contact case, shoes, pencils, bags.

I miss so much.  I would turn back time to exactly a year ago if I could.  Okay, maybe not a year.  This was about my low time, I think, when culture shock was hitting hard.  But I would relive March-May 2010 over and over if I could.  Senegal will always have a special place in my heart, and I'm thankful for any chance to open up my heart and let it out.

1 comment: