Sometimes I am so happy, I get angry.
For instance, I am having a perfectly wonderful time here in Jackson. TOO perfect. I love staying with the Hughes family like duh. I love going to Walmart and knowing where the cold medicine is. I love having a friend who gives me coupons. I love eating at Chick-fil-a. I love sitting in Green Frog and talking to Ashley for hours. I love walking along the planked walkways of Cypress Grove in the crisp air, then climbing three stories to a stand that overlooks the muddy lake and wintered trees.
I love eating cupcakes. I love recounting humiliating stories. I love Dusty's sometimes hilarious quips, sometimes hilariously awful quips. I love Jennie's bursts of laughter. I love Seth being the simple dog. I love Hannah's overactive facial expressions. I love watching House with Ashley and knowing that she finds his bright blue-eyed stare just as attractive as I do. I love sleeping in a gloriously comfy bed.
Most of all, I love evenings at the Hughes' house, when the kids are asleep and Jennie and Dusty and I crash on their living room couches. I love that we all do our own thing (Dusty on his iPhone, me with my book, Jennie reading or on her laptop), but then watch a TV show or start a conversation or make a weird noise. I love how two of us always mishears and miscommunicates, but the third person inevitably understands and translates. I love how comfortable I am with them, how I don't bother to worry about smudged makeup or messy hair. I love that they are my Jackson family.
And I hate that I don't see them often. I hate that these visits, that slide into effortlessness, are deceptive. This feels like home, but it isn't. And that sucks.
*Also, I nearly ruined my sadness when I thought of that blog title. Because who can remember Brett Erlich's hilarious Best Sledding Fails with anything but fondness?*
A) It's horrible, isn't it? I feel the same way when I go to Jackson and see the Pflasterers. Though now it's been awhile, so maybe it won't feel that way next time? I don't know. But I do hope you continue to enjoy your Jackson family/life while you're there :-)
ReplyDeleteB) I had never seen that video, so I watched it. I laughed a lot. My favorites are, "Don't leave the ground cause then the ground is all pissed" and "Why are you wearing a scarf? You need coldness to live!"