Yesterday I hung out with Erin and Tim. We got to skype with Lauren (who is fiveish months into her Journeyman program) and phone Stephanie (who was flying back from conference where she interviewed for a Journeyman position). It was missions central!
And I love that. I love so much that these are friends I made in Turkey. We went on a mission trip together, and we became friends because we all felt like God was calling us to long term missions. We talked about it and did the whole college "I can change the world!" thing. But we didn't stop there! We are doing it! Lauren is out there, Steph is on her way. I'm working towards it, and Erin and Tim are waiting for student loans to get paid off so they can go.
I am so proud of my friends. And I'm so thankful that God brought us all together in January 2009 so that we could encourage and inspire and comfort each other the last couple years.
Also, I love being with people who get it. The other day, my grandpa tried to convince me that I should stay in the States because I don't want to. I get that God often likes to take people outside their comfort zone. But I fully believe that God creates people with passions and interests so that He can use them!
And traveling? Is SO MUCH a passion and an interest. While we ate lunch, Erin gave a speech like this, "When I'm overseas on a mission trip, I am more myself than anywhere else. I am happy and content. I feel like I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be. Everything is perfect, even when it's not. That's where I'm me."
To which I said, "OMG ME TOO!" It's so great to hang out with someone who more than understands--who feels the exact same way. I am never happier than when I'm overseas--whether it's Turkey, Greece, Senegal, Germany, or hopefully, Mongolia.
I know God needs people in America. I intend to (and think I am currently) serving Him here in the States. But when so many people freak out at the idea of traveling temporarily, let alone permanently....it just makes sense to me that God gave me this desire and intends to use it.
Relatedly, I was feeling lonely today, because I was leaving Jackson and my friends. It struck me that everyone I hung out with was either married or in a serious relationship, so that added to the loneliness. But then I wondered, what if I met someone who didn't like to travel? What if getting married meant staying in one place to raise kids and not moving for twenty years? Even if I got married to someone truly awesome?
And...I don't think I'd want it. I want to get married, for sure. Sometimes I even want it now, not in several years. But I want a guy who is also passionate about traveling and seeing the world and experiencing new cultures. And I want that more than I want just a guy.
My wanderlust is stronger than my hormonelust, I guess. :)
When God calls, he will call both of you. There's a man out there who is thinking the same thoughts as you. Just follow the path marked "Christ" and you'll find him.
ReplyDelete