Thursday, August 22, 2013

Teaching Kids About Feminism

I love the movement of educating young men not to abuse and rape women rather than the usual practice of educating women on how not to get raped (ex:  wear modest clothes, don't go out after dark, lace your keys through your fingers while walking through parking lots but do not talk on your phone, wear your hair in a bun not a ponytail, always check your backseat before getting in your car....see, I'm educated and terrified).  But I never quite knew what that looked like other than telling someone, "There will come a day when you will want something from a woman but she will not want to give it.  In that moment, please do not force her to give it to you.  That's very bad." 

But today an opportunity arose!  Anju screamed from upstairs, so I went to investigate.  She was crying, and when I asked what had happened, she said, "I tried to shut my door, but Ketan wouldn't let me, and I kept telling him to let me shut it, but he kept holding it open!" 

Not a huge deal, right?  But like I said, an opportunity!

Me:  Ketan, will you open your door, please?
Ketan:  What?
Me:  What just happened?
Ketan:  I didn't do anything!
Me:  Then why did Anju say something did?
Ketan:  I just wanted to tell her something!
Me:  Oh yeah?  What?
Ketan:  Just something.
Me:  Okay.  Look, here's the thing.  You're older than Anju and you're a boy.  You're stronger than her, and if you want to keep her door open, you can because you're stronger.  But if a girl ever tells you to stop doing something repeatedly, you have to stop.  That's your responsibility, okay?  You've got to learn self-control and start respecting girls when they tell you to stop.  Okay?
Ketan:  Okay.
Me:  I'm disappointed, but I'm not angry.  I know you're awesome and you'll remember not to use your strength to your advantage.
Ketan:  Okay.

He was super upset that I'd called him out on something I disapproved of.  These kids, so desperate for perfection.  I know nothing of that instinct, hah hah.

I was super excited to have had this conversation.  I'll turn Ketan into a feminist yet, especially since a few days ago we had this conversation...

Ketan:  What's J.K. Rowling's first name?
Me:  Joanne.
Ketan:  Why isn't it written Joanne Rowling?
Me:  Because she was told that she would make more money if she sold her books under a name that could be assumed she was a man.  Books authored by men make more money than women authors.  Now it doesn't matter because she's so famous, but in general women are seen as less successful at things.  The world often doesn't respect women.
Ketan:  I respect women.
Me:  I know.  That's one of the things I love most about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment