Saturday, August 17, 2013

Recommendations for Mallory

Mallory wanted my advice on movies and books that she ought to see, and I put together a list.  I didn't want to name them without describing them, though, so linking to my blog seemed like the best course of action (plus I saw someone else do it).

First, obviously Lord of the Rings goes on both lists, and Harry Potter goes under books.  But I assume you know that already.

MOVIES

The Fall (starring Lee Pace)
  This is my favorite movie.  It's a story of broken people finding hope in each other and in stories, so uh, obviously I love it.  Also Lee Pace is crazy cute, and there's an adorable girl with an accent.


Anna Karenina (starring Kiera Knightly)
   I have to admit I've never read the book, but this film adaptation is phenomenal.  I loved how it was filmed as if everything played out in a theater, and the way it explores the varying forms of love (and its effects) just blew me away. 


The Four Feathers (starring Heath Ledger)
   This movie is so great, and I don't know why I don't hear about it more often.  It's about courage and friendship, and I've just remembered that I want to rewatch this asap.


Big Fish (starring Ewan McGregor)
   Kind of cheating, because it's also about the power of stories, but this time from a family point of view, and how we forgive and accept the people we love.


BOOKS

The Fault in Our Stars (by John Green)
  This is the book I recommend to everyone everywhere.  Quick read that will make you laugh and cry and feel ALL the feelings.

The Great Gatsby (by F. Scott Fitzgerald)
   I'm obsessed with Fitzgerald and his obsession with the American dream.  I love how in every book he writes, his characters pursue romance and wealth only to find it unfulfilling. 

The Three Musketeers (by Alexandre Dumas)
   I loved this when I was 11, and I loved it when I was 22.  It feels modern(ish) and is such a great story of friendship, swords, and adventure.

A Grief Observed (by C.S. Lewis)
   I like when Lewis gets real, and reading him rail against God and mourn the loss of his wife reminds me that good theology happens in the messiness of life. (I also love his Surprised by Joy.)

When Life and Beliefs Collide (by Carolyn Custis James)
   A book that proves women need theology and need to teach theology based on Mary of Bethany's interactions with Jesus.  It made me cry, it was so good.

Knowledge of the Holy (by A.W. Tozer)
   Bite-sized descriptions of God's attributes that remind readers that fixing our eyes on who God makes everything else fall into place.

1 comment:

  1. You should definitely read Anna Karenina (not just watch the movie, which I agree was well done)- Russian literature is so bland, but it gets straight to the point and I love it! Chekhov's Russian short stories are kinda fabulous also.

    -Amy Myhre

    ReplyDelete