Monday, July 8, 2013

DTS Bathrooms

Women have only been allowed to take classes at DTS since about 1980.  That's around 35 years.  And if that weren't bad enough, the campus still has physical reminders of our newness to the academic life.  It's been a joke amongst the female students that there are fewer women's bathrooms than men's, when everyone knows the opposite ought to be true.  But I've never heard a man comment on it, and especially not negatively.

Not until today, that is!  Dr. K keeps winning "professor of the year" in my book, largely because he is a legitimately great teacher, but also because he treats women as human beings who are in attendance in his classes.  That might sound stupid, but I've sat through whole semesters in which the professors only referred to the students using masculine pronouns or used examples of men and husbands but never women or wives.

You know it's bad when Dr. K says, "and then, to a man and to a woman, they" and your heart soars from the intentionality of including both sexes.  It's little things like that that make me feel visible and valued.

And it's bigger things like the bathroom rant that make me feel like standing up and cheering.

Right before break, Dr. K finished reading the syllabus, which included a statement about the school's commitment to not discriminate based on disability.  Dr. K said, "We don't discriminate on the basis of disability, only by gender. I'm serious. During our upcoming break, if you are male, you may go down the hall to use the restroom. If you are not male, you will have to go to a different floor or another building. A board member, a female board member, said recently that until we have a women's restroom on the first floor, all our talk of equality will be vague.  I think she's right."

I mean, this touched me so deeply that I copied his words verbatim.  So.  

THERE IS HOPE, hallelujah, it gives me so much joy that a respected theology professor purposefully and intentionally includes women in his common speech and deliberately brings up issues of equality that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.  This is the best.

2 comments:

  1. At my age, and with my cultural background, I have to watch myself lest I shift to the male form of expression, like "every man to himself" or postman, or "to a man". So I try, but often slip. For this Tricia you will just have to forgive me.

    When I read this post, another question occurred to me...why not just have bathrooms and let both men and women use them? It seems to work for the French and almost all families. It was odd for me to use the john (another male term) in Paris while a lady was inside the stall, but I am also old enough and been in enough hospitals that all modesty is gone.

    Such dilemmas I have...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tommy, you have demonstrated in your words and your actions that you respect women, and the fact that you notice your language more than makes up for any failings. I so appreciate you!

      Unisex bathrooms? I'm not sure if DTS is ready for that. :) I don't know if I'm ready for that, haha! I guess I need a few more hospital visits!

      Delete