I've long been a proponent of honesty, but somehow, I am still shocked by how lovely it really is in practice.
There's this girl at DTS who I have slowly become friends with. And by friends, I mean we mock each other's Type A Academia and rant about humanism. Until today, when we greeted each other in the few minutes before class started, and she said,
Her: Would you like to be friends outside of class?
Me: Yes! I would!
Her: Good, because what else would you say?
Me: No, I am totally satisfied with the relationship we currently have, the one in which we barely see each other. This is good.
Her: ...
Me: I COULD have said that. But no, I totally want to be your friend outside of class!
It's like, actually really nice to affirm feelings. See, it's bombshells like these that make me such an insightful person. Honestly, all of psychology is just this: putting labels on commonsense emotions and practices and describing things that people do every day. And yet, somehow acknowledging and studying these simple truths makes them SO HUGE.
If you want to be someone's friend, ask to be their friend. If you are already someone's friend and enjoy their company, tell them you are glad they are their friend!
Man, I am going to be the BEST counselor. Just call me Captain Obvious.
You can call yourself "Captain Obvious" just as long as you don't hit your self on the head and say "duh!".
ReplyDeleteTricia, I enjoy reading your thoughts!