I was just having a conversation with Liz about how my continual running up against not-love has made me bitter and jaded. Then I burst out laughing, because I was freaking lying. The love story of my life is that I like someone and they don't like me back. After twenty-five years of that crap, I thought I ought to be bitter and jaded, so I said I was. But that isn't true. All it takes is the fluttering beginnings of a new crush, and I am right back to gasping adoration and painfully hoping for a future. My heart never seems to learn. And I guess that's a good thing? To hope, I mean. That is the Christian story, that darkness leads to light, that death leads to life. We are a people built on hope fulfilled and hope not yet accomplished. So, it's good that I keep hoping for love. But at the same time, it suuuucks. And then I found a poem!
a tale about one single person
i wish this was the story of how i became bitter
cold-hearted
or evil
instead
it's the story of how i cared so much that it hurt
it hurt
it still does
(r.d.)
Since I'm also currently writing a paper on my Myers-Briggs personality type (INFJ), I can psychologically conclude that I am a classic F--I feel deeply and widely, and I am the absolute worst at turning off my emotions. So I'll just have to keep living with this, I guess!
No comments:
Post a Comment