This morning in class my professor told us that speaking in tongues and healing were no longer spiritual gifts, which is the line I was fed growing up, so I didn't think much of it. Then a girl sitting in front of me asked about this woman Heidi Baker, a missionary in Mozambique who heals tons of people and is telling thousands about Jesus. The professor hadn't heard of her, so he kind of wrote it off and kept talking. Michal Ann pulled up an article about Heidi and we read it on her laptop.
My professor then continued to say that there were many things mentioned in the Bible that we no longer practice...killing women, speaking in tongues, sacrificing animals, head coverings, etc. Michal Ann leaned over and whispered, "But women still can't lead in church?" I snorted, like the rebellious jerk that I can be, but then I had an epiphany. It was one of those moments that straddles "duh" and "holy crap!"
The Bible's instructions, and learning to live a Christ-honoring life, is mysterious. There are so many interpretations of so many rules, often debated by two people who equally love the Trinity and are seeking to glorify God. So obviously things aren't cut and dry. I knew that.
I just sometimes forget that I cling to my own list of rights and wrongs. You must respect women! You must empathize with the oppressed! You must find beauty in story! All good things (obviously I think so, or I wouldn't profess them), but do I need to shout about it so much? I barely even know what dispensationalism is or exactly how pre-millenialism differs from amillenialism, but I've got an opinion about which one is right.
Maybe I should stop. Or slow down. Maybe I should seek to serve God, and respect that others are doing the same, even if we come to different conclusions. That doesn't mean the end of conversations or debates. But it does mean the end of shouting, of holding my opinions so tightly that the grace of God can't work in me or in my conversation.
And that's what I decided. I don't want to be an opinionated person. I want to be a gracious person.
What a long road that will be.
No comments:
Post a Comment