Thursday, November 15, 2012

Adoption Lessons While Nannying

Anju:  I'm unhappy.
Me:  Oh yeah?
Anju:  Mom is gone.
Me:  Yeah, that sucks.
Anju:  And next week you will be too.
Me:  *STARS IN EYES YOU LOVE ME*

I've been nannying for about two months now, and the kids and I are tight.  It's an ideal situation--I would be way more on board with parenthood if I got paid to do it.  Also if I could guaranteed skip the first five years of a kid's life.  So, uh, obviously nannying is perfect for me.

What's been super cool is how this has solidified my desire to adopt.  Or at least confirmed that it would totally not be a problem for me.  I had two worries/concerns before.

1)  Is it possible to truly love a kid who is not biologically yours.

Yup.  I love these sassy munchkins, and when I see something that reminds me of them during the day, I file it away to share later.  I love cuddling with them, and I get proud of their accomplishments, and I've only known them for two months.  So.  It's not hard for me to love people.

2)  Would it be uncomfortable or awkward being a parent of kids of another ethnicity?

Yergh, I hate the racist overtones inherent in my concern, but there it is.  And, nope.  It's not weird at all.  I love being associated with Anju and Ketan (most of the time).  I love saying things like "you can have a snack when we get home" or putting Anju's hair in a ponytail or snagging Ketan's shirt as he dashes away.  I have never once felt like people looked at us strangely.  Maybe it's Dallas.  Maybe it's obvious I'm a nanny.  But it doesn't really matter.

I finally don't care what the public masses think!  About one thing!  Woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment