During my layover in Amsterdam, a girl sitting across from me said, "I like your shirt."
"Thanks." I paused, then looked up again. "Do you know that it's from Doctor Who?"
"Yes! I love that show!"
We ended up talking for an hour before boarding our flight. Then eight hours later she found me at the luggage pick-up, and we talked for another thirty minutes. Guys, I found an internet friend in real life.
Let me explain. I am not like most people. I have thoughts and opinions that tend toward the weird. And I'm fairly obsessive. When I like something, I like it a lot. I am not content to just be a fan--I have to join fandoms! According to my definition, being part of a fandom means getting involved (most likely online) with either a) fan meta, b) fan fiction, or c) fan art. You can contribute or consume, but you are adding to the experience in some way. The TV show, book, or movie is not enough on its own. You need more!
I have been this way since junior high when I discovered the Harry Potter fandom online. But very few people in my real life circle of friends share this interest. People side-eye when I mention shipping or an essay I read about the Spike/Willow redemption arc in season 6 of Buffy. I've gotten used to that, because I know that somewhere in the world, there are a whole lot of people like me, because I see them doing stuff online.
But now I met someone in real life! Who brought up shipping on her own! And who shares my love for Doctor Who, The Legend of Korra, and Harry Potter. She has a tumblr! She trolls the interwebs! Oh my gosh, it was wonderful. I am not alone.
We traded tumblr information, and now we are internet friends. But we were real life friends first, which is a huge step in some sort of direction.
Now I'm in Peoria. I've gone to church; I've gone to work. It's back to normal.
No comments:
Post a Comment