I really like this episode. It's nice to see both of them so happy! There is a lot of drama in the Whoverse, which makes sense because happy TV is often boring TV. But sometimes I need to know that my beloved characters have some fun.

Of course, there has to be some plot. And I like it too--the return of Cassandra! I never knew I wanted more of her until we were given it. Having her consciouness jump from various characters adds to the fun of the episode, and allows Billie Piper and David Tennant to show off their acting chops. Cassandra!Rose kissing the Doctor, and his dazed reaction, is adorable. Cassandra!Doctor reacting to having two hearts ("I'm beating out a samba!") is hilarious.
And like ships ship, of course they are incredibly protective of each other whenever their best friend is hijacked by a selfish villain. But I don't even care because it's all so hilarious.
This episode is set up very obviously as a counterpoint to season 1's "The End of the World." We've got the same villain. But whereas last time we saw the end of Earth, this time we're at the reconstruction of New Earth. Your symbolism does not escape me, RTD. And just as the angry Nine has been replaced by a happier Ten, the Doctor's response to Cassandra is wildly different. This time Ten grants her peace, lets her jump time and assure herself that she's beautiful. That kind of mercy would never have happened with Nine. Not until Rose's sacrifice made him a better man.
And we have the Face of Boe! JACK! Laughing forever. Regardless of how much I love that connection, the Face of Boe and the Doctor really do have an interesting relationship. At this point the Doctor thinks they barely know each other, but they are so obviously connected. And an ominous prophecy by the Face! So intriguing! And the sentimental streak in me was so pleased that at the end of Jack's incredibly long life, he got to see the Doctor again.
The happy ending where everyone is saved and cured is remniscent of "The Doctor Dances." It's so rare for everyone to live happily ever after, but we get that here. This is such a feel-good episode.
No comments:
Post a Comment