Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Way To Be, C.S. Lewis

I just read a book of essays written by C.S. Lewis, and in one he talks about the faith of Christians in the face of contradictory evidence.  Why do we believe in God, believe that He is good and loves us, when there are so many scientific and philosophical arguments to the contrary?

I love Lewis because he never explains things the way I would.  Lewis explains faith like this.  If Christianity were simply a philosophical idea, then yes, faith in the face of scientific or experiencial evidence would be stupid.  But if Christianity is the belief in a personal God, in this God, then things are quite different.  It's like that feeling of embarrassment when we get mad at a friend for being late to a party, and ten minutes later they show with an explanation for where they'd been.  If only we had known them more, trusted them more, then we would have waited.  We would have had faith.

Everything changes when religion is not about rules and ideas.  My faith is based on a knowledge of a God who loves me, interacts with me, and takes care of me.  I will trust in Him because I know Him.

1 comment: