Saturday, December 31, 2011

Detroit Airport

Sometimes I feel like memories are less images that I choose to call to mind, and more sentient emotions, gut punching me when I'm not looking.

I think I was aware that the Detroit Airport was a layover from Memphis to Istanbul on that life-changing Union mission trip three years ago.  But when I descended an escalator to enter the tunnel from Concourse C to Concourse A, and that airy music hit my ears and I saw the psychedelic walls changing color...it was visceral.  I vividly remembered riding on the moving walkways with Brandon Lokey, Stephanie, and Sarah.  We took pictures and laughed and made first steps towards deep friendships.

After the tunnel I saw the fountain near which we all sat, waiting for the plane that would take us to Turkey.  Those were the trees where Chris told Erin lots of birds lived.  I remember thinking she was stupid for believing they were real, until it turned out they were.  And of course, six months later she would be my roommate.

This airport is a big deal to me, apparently.  My brain saved a lot of events that happened here.  That's fitting, I suppose, considering what a huge deal that trip was for my social life and future plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment