Road trips + weddings + old friends = a really awesome weekend.
This Friday, Amber and Seth became a Mr. and Mrs. They were friends of Stephanie's, and therefore became my friends during my last year at Union. With them I dressed up for Jim & Pam's TV wedding, ate lunch in Coburn, and explored forests. They got married in Kansas City, and since most of my friends were in the wedding party, I coerced Emily to come with me as my +1.
Turns out that was probably unnecessary, but I'm super glad she came with me anyway. Trading off driving and having someone to talk to makes a 7-hour drive go by much faster!
I had a new adult first when I got a hotel room by myself. Emily and I went there to change, then headed to the wedding ceremony. It was super cute, and a nice mix of funny with classy. I sat with Stephanie's mom, which was nice, since I kind of think of her as my Memphis mom.
The reception was fantastic. I caught up a bit with Kevin and Cameron. I haven't really talked to either of them since graduating, and I was surprised how quickly we fell into a silly banter conversation. Stephanie and Elizabeth didn't have to act as bridesmaids for long, so we hung out a lot, plus Amanda (who went to Harry Potter World with us) and a girl named Lauren that I kind of know.
The dancing was insane. It was definitely the most consistently crowded dance floor I've ever seen. Everyone was stupid dancing and having a brilliant time. I completely adored it all.
Stephanie and Elizabeth ended up staying the night at the hotel with Emily and I. We only had a king sized bed, so three of us shared that, and Elizabeth took the chair. I...really love that. Friendships that can spontaneously change up sleeping plans, and cram into uncomfortable situations, and not care, because we're friends.
The next morning Stephanie drove us around Kansas City, since she grew up there. It is a cool city! We stopped at the City Market, and got pastries and coffee and ate and talked. We dropped Elizabeth off at the airport, then filled up the car with gas at Quick Trip, in honor of Seth, because it is his favorite. We ate lunch at Chick-fil-a, and said goodbye to Stephanie. The next time I see her will be in Central Asia!
I haven't been very nostalgic about college lately. But this weekend....very much made me so. I guess hanging out with the kids I spent my most recent college time with was what did it. My most recent memories are with them. I spent every Thursday night in Stephanie's dorm for a semester. We had adventure points. They were the first group of people I was friends with (because before them it was my Craig 3 sisters, and we were fairly exclusive). They are so crazy and like to do crazy things!
I had a perfectly lovely time, but now I miss that life. I'm really glad I got to revisit it for a weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment