Jet lag is a jerk. Gany dropped me off at 6:30 last night and showed me how to limitedly access the Internet with her phone (which I am borrowing--she is taking her boyfriend's, who I assume is phoneless). I laid down to read a bit, and that was it. I was asleep by 7:00.
I did force myself awake around 10:00, dragging my face away from a wet patch of drool. Am I the only person who gets excited when I drool? It's a nice proof positive that I was gloriously and deeply asleep. Anyway, I took out my contacts, showered, and fell back asleep.
Which means of course I woke up at 5:30 this morning. Ugh. But after this (or maybe after tomorrow night...) I refuse! I will not succumb to jet lag like a normal person! Hopefully maybe.
..
I'm doing my paranoid agoraphobia schtick. There is an internet cafe just across the sidewalk from my apartment building, and I've been contemplating taking a stroll to use their computers (they don't have WiFi). But that would mean leaving on my own! And communicating! And maybe looking foolish!
This happens every time I travel, for the first few days, at least. New place, Same fears. Today I will wait for Gany, but my goal is to go somewhere, anywhere, by myself before we leave for the countryside on Thursday.
..
Because I ate almost nothing yesterday, I thought I was going to become thin and weak during this trip. Um, not today. I ate an apple when I got up at 5:30, since I hadn't had dinner the night before due to sleeping. Then a couple hours later I made myself cereal. At 9:00 Anya's mother got up and made me an egg, which she pointed out I should eat with bread. Not wanting to offend, I ate it, and it was good. Thirty minutes later, she brought in a bowl of rice! Like, a big bowl. I'm going to eat all my meals for the day before noon. And I can't even communicate with her to tell her to please stop.
..
In Senegal I learned that water can be delicious, even when it's been stagnant in a bottle sitting out in the sun all day. Good thing I learned that, because I think cold water will be mostly non-existent while I'm here. Anya's mom brings me a 2 liter thermos of boiled water every morning, which I then pour into my water bottle and wait for it to reach room temperature. And you know what? It tastes delicious, because Mongolia is really dry, and I am thirsty all the time.
..
This quote from F.B. Meyer describes exactly how this trip to Mongolia came about. "God's impressions within and his word without are always corroborated by his providence around, and we should quietly wait until those three focus into one point. If you do not now what you ought to do, stand still until you do. And when the time comes for action, circumstances, like glowworms, will sparkle along your path; and you will become so sure that you are right, when God's three witnesses concur, that you could not be surer though an angel beckoned you on."
Wondered if jetlag had hit. Sounds like you are doing great! Does Anya come home today? Is the last quote from Christlike book? Sounds familiar. And good! Have a good day! Going to bed here! love you!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you have a nice "landlady". Can you say 'thank you' or do you just smile? G'ma says that she loves you... and so do I.
ReplyDeleteYes that quote is from Christlike. And yes I can kind of say thank you. Mongolians are less outwardly interested in me trying their language than the Senegalese, so I get very little feedback. Makes it harder.
ReplyDelete