Monday, December 10, 2012

Sickness

I used to hate when Roy would enter my room on days I stayed home from school sick.  He would cover his mouth and a dishrag and rasp a laughing, "How are you, sicko?"  He would poke at me and back out of the room.  I felt like a leper.

Today Liz came home from class, paused in the doorway to moan, "I'm sick," then lunged for my bed.  I yelped and snagged my pillow out from under her incoming head.  I felt bad, looking at her face crushed into my mattress, so I tossed a decorative pillow at her.  "OW," she said, because I'd hit her in the eye with one of the pillow corners.

Bedside manner is not one of my family's strong suits.

2 comments:

  1. That made me laugh inside because I know that feeling so well. Someone coughs in our Sunday school class, and I cringe because I wonder what kind of germs they just expelled into the air at 70 mph. One of my children who shall remain nameless, but will always be my first born son, wipes his nose with his sleeve, and I gag and cringe because of all those germs that were just spread all over, and will be spread throughout the house and potentially onto my second born son. Bleh...I hate sicknesses. (Unless it is I who is sick, and then I relish being sick. All the catering to me and helping me. Ahhhhh...If it didn't suck so badly, and make me feel awful, and inevitably force me to do much work even though I'm sick and everything should be done for me, then I'd be sick more often.)

    The flu has been going around in this area, and not the strain that was expected, so the flu vaccine doesn't help. That makes me feel so comfortable and happy. Our neighbor has it, a lady in our Sunday school class had it, my piano student's mom had it two days after she stood in my house talking with me for 15 minutes. Ick. Where do I get a mask?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely wear a mask all the time. I kid, but I think I read somewhere that this is actually kind of common in Japan? From my experience with Japanese girls in Senegal, I would not be surprised. They wore long sleeves and hats all the time to keep from getting sunburned. They were serious about their health. Maybe we all should be? But as Americans, we would totally make masks into some crazy fashion statement, and you would be cool depending upon whether or not your mask were camo, or striped with feathers or something.

    I've thought about this too much.

    ReplyDelete