"And in despair I bowed my head;
"There is no peace on earth," I said;
- "For hate is strong,
- And mocks the song
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
- The Wrong shall fail,
- The Right prevail,
I adore stories in any media--books, TV, movies, songs. I especially love when a story breaks you down, unveils your deepest fears and regrets, and shoves them in your face. I love feeling awful, and legitimately thinking, "Ugh, that's TRUE. Life sucks!" But a good story doesn't end there, because Jesus doesn't end there. He doesn't reveal our sin and sit back with his arms crossed, smirking, "Yeah, don't you feel bad for disobeying me?"
He saves us. He brings us out of darkness into light. He takes our fears and regrets and covers them in hope and grace. Jesus is awesome. And the songs about his entering into human history are especially saturated with hope and grace. I LOVE THEM. That's why "O Come O Come Emmanuel" is my all time favorite Christmas song.
"O come, O come, Emmanuel
And ransom captive Israel
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.
O come, Thou Day-Spring, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night
And death's dark shadows put to flight.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel."
"I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" is by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow--what's there to hate?! ;-) But, seriously, I'm all about the poetry-become-Christmas-songs. And those verses are great.
ReplyDeleteOoo, I didn't realize that. Longfellow is brilliant; no wonder I like his Christmas poem/song!
Delete