Monday, January 16, 2012

Books and God and Me

A while ago I took Cheryl's test that tells you.....something spiritual.  I don't remember the exact term, but what I learned is that when I want to take steps toward reigniting passion for God, I should read.

LOL SURPRISE.

But really, it was kind of cool to see that reading is how my soul and mind and heart get spurred to action.  So when I'm in a spiritual funk, the easiest way for me to get out of it is to read a book about God and spirituality (for other people, listening to music or enjoying nature can do the trick).

The thing is, I haven't been reading many Christian books lately.  Ever since I found out the IL award nominated books were being voted on in February, I have been killing myself trying to read and review them all (20 picture books, 20 middle grade books, and 42 novels).  Added to that the regular books that I want to read for fun, and....I've been a bit tied up, book-wise.

Finally today a bunch of guilt things and study things came together and I realized I needed to read a Christian book or I would be overtly ignoring God's nudgings.  I started Radical Together by David Platt (his follow-up to Radical) and after ten pages I was flailing in the break room, making notes on napkins and thinking up ways to serve God better.

It's annoying when I ignore the solution to a problem for so long, and when I finally use the solution, it works in like, five seconds.  Way to be stubborn and stupid, me.

I recommend the book, though.  It's reinvigorated me like nothing has for the past several months.  THANK GOODNESS.  I was beginning to think I was broken.  Turns out I just needed a purpose and a challenge.

1 comment: