Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars

What is this!?  John Green (DFTBA!) has just released a new book, and like the awesome librarian and nerdfighter I am, I preordered it, knowing he was signing all the preordered copies.  All 150,000 of them.  The man is a champion.

Anyway, it's this book about cancer, about still living life and being funny and being sad and maybe falling in love.  I am only 31 pages in, and already I am beside myself.  The way he can make life more meaningful with the power of his words astounds me.  Oh, and also?  The narrator is a girl.  A super believable girl.  If I weren't so aware of the fact that John Green wrote The Fault in Our Stars, I would have assumed a woman wrote it.

There have been several phrases or sentences that I wanted to quote, but finally I cracked.  After Augustus (hot boy who is shaping up to be the love interest) tells his story of battling cancer by relating it to a mutual friend, Hazel (girl with an oxygen tank who goes to support groups to mock things but also feel a little bit better), thinks this:

"I liked Augustus Waters.  I really, really, really liked him.  I liked the way his story ended with someone else.  I liked his voice.  I liked that he took existentially fraught free throws.  I liked that he was a tenured professor in the Department of Slightly Crooked Smiles with a dual appointment in the Department of Having a Voice That Made My Skin Feel More Like Skin."

John Green, what are you doing!?  A voice that makes my skin feel more like skin?  How do you describe those emotions and experiences with such perfection?  Do you have a copyright on the English language, because sir, you deserve it.

Smart kids falling in love while dying of cancer.  THIS BOOK IS GOING TO SLAY ME.


Nerdfighter, and proud of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment