I was going to write about how my opinion changed, a process that mostly revolves around the destruction of my naive belief that of course Darren Wilson would be charged with murder. But I'm not good at talking about this. Racial tensions, and a history of racial privilege and abuse that has been largely swept under the rug (because of embarrassment? a genuine hope to move past it?), oh my gosh, that is so out of my depth. I very much believe racial equality is still something for which America must strive, but I'm not knowledgeable on all the details of how this plays out.
So instead I'm just going to post some of the things I've been seeing online that have got me thinking.
I'm ashamed to admit that when this first was blowing up, I thought, "But I'm fighting for gender equality, not racial equality." Again, ugh, the inside of my brain, ugh! As if my concern for justice can only cover one group. Thankfully I saw things like this that connected the dots for me.
This grossed me out...
One quote that especially made me sad...
“What age is a black boy when he learns he’s scary?”― Jonathan LethemAnd then there were a lot of comparisons made of how the law treats black and white people drastically differently.
This is not a place where I'm defending what "really" happened or how this specific situation ought to be played out, although I definitely have opinions. What I care about is my growing concern for the racial divides that run deep in American veins. In my veins. I am appalled at how easy it was for me to not care about the death of a human being. I am appalled at my preference in supporting one oppressed minority (aka the group I'm in!) while totally ignoring another oppressed minority. I want to be on the side of the downtrodden, the abused, the hurting, the ignored, whether or not I can personally identify with them. I'm done with not caring.
"Just a reminder that James Holmes shot 82 people, walked out of a movie theater armed to the teeth and was arrested peacefully, while Mike Brown and a 12 year old boy with a toy gun were shot to death by cops because of 'self-defense.'"




No comments:
Post a Comment