Monday, February 4, 2013

I Abhor Scary Movies

I am the biggest movie wuss in the world.  Poor Liz.  We have extremely similar tastes in movies, except when she wants to see something realistic and I dig in my heels and refuse.  Realistic like Argo or Zero Dark Thirty.  Now, I have no doubt those are excellent movies.  I even want to see them, but I know I won't be able to handle it.  Realistic violence scares the crap out of me.  And that terror exponentially increases when it comes to thrillers or horror movies.  I can't handle it.

Not that I never tried.  During the Indianola mission trip, when I was in middle school, there was a movie night in the Smith's hotel room.  Being a fan of the Smiths, I went.  Being a stupid middle schooler who wasn't yet self-aware, I stayed even when I found out they were watching What Lies Beneath.  (I think that's what it was.  It's supposed to be scary for bathtubs the way Psycho is scary for showers.  I would google it, but I honestly don't want to see any pictures of horribleness, so I'm just going with my gut memory.)

Well.  I couldn't handle it.  Fairly quickly I slid off the bed into the two feet of space between bed and wall.  I suppose that made me feel walled in and safe in a primal way.  But even then I was terrified.  So I spun around and sat facing the bedside table rather than the TV.  I stayed in the room for the whole movie, not even looking at the screen.  What an idiot.  Even worse, I still jumped when everyone else did, because I was still terrified even when not watching it.

Yeesh.  Also once I had nightmares after watching a preview for a scary movie.




2 comments:

  1. I'm all with you! I mute or change the channel for previews of scary movies. I did break my "no scary movies" rule for Cabin in the Woods, and I spent ten minutes of the movie in the theatre bathroom and another ten minutes with my eyes closed except for occasional peaking and freaking out. I was scared to drive home and sleep that night, too, and the horrible thing is, I knew I would be, but . . . Joss! The things I'll do for him. (And after all that, I hated the movie, and not for the scariness!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a whole series of nightmares about invasions by aliens disguised as sea creatures after watching the last season of Doctor Who. Not to mention the nightmares related to previews for the Paranormal movies. So yeah, I'm with you on that.

    ReplyDelete