Friday, October 26, 2012

Hello, Fellow Feminist

I made a new friend.  Actually, we were already friends, because we've sat next to each other during Bible Study pretty much the whole semester, and once we went to chapel together and discovered a mutual love for Lord of the Rings.

But.  This week she mentioned Rachel Held Evans, whose book A Year of Biblical Womanhood comes out in a couple days.  I am so excited about this.  For a year, Rachel lives out biblical mandates directed at women in their most literal sense.  She covers her head.  She calls her husband master.  It will be awesome, and I can't wait to hear what conclusions she drew from it.

I was about to gush to my classmate, but we locked eyes.  I hedged, "I tend to kind of sometimes classify myself as a Christian feminist, but--"  My new best friend cut me off.  "Oh, I'm definitely a feminist."

My eyes sparkled as I gazed at her adoringly.  "You are?  I've never met another one in person before!"  Yes, I actually said that.  She proved her awesomeness by laughing.  "Yeah, I worried I would be burned at the stake here.  But so far....it's not too bad."  We both shrugged off the lingering stench of misogyny, because really, DTS is trying.

And then we made a lunch date to discuss what it's like being a Christian feminist.  Because that is a lonely label, blogosphere.  I know many online Christian feminists.  I know many Christians in real life who hold feminist beliefs, but none who happily claim the label "feminist."  So to meet one?  You best believe I'm jumping on that friendship train.

Now I have to figure out which books I want to lend her!  (I'm thinking Are Women Human? by Dorothy Sayers and Angry Conversations with God by Susan E. Isaacs.)

No comments:

Post a Comment