I went to orientation today, and seminary is basically like Union. Lots of kind people, and staff who pray for you and are intentionally committed to help you discover how you can serve God. The dress code is a bit more severe, although HOLLA, as of yesterday, jeans were approved! Oh, happy day.
It's simultaneously wonderful and strange to be back in such an intensely Christ-centered environment. Speakers talk about Victoria Secret's catalogs as pornography, we burst into hymns in the middle of sessions, and people bring up "God's will" during simple conversations. There's also a decidedly "Christian" brand of humor--during our MMPI test, someone sneezed. Several people said, "Bless you" until one man said authoritatively, "GOD bless you." Everyone cracked up, because ho ho ho, it was funny. I mean, it was. But it struck me that we were an unusual group of people.
What I like about DTS, though, is how they hold their school and their students to a high standard. They talked about the no drinking rule and the strict dress code. They happily admitted that the Bible does not dictate specific outfits nor outlaw alcohol. But they want their school to be better than just "okay" and they go out of the way to make it so. Since I just read about a guy imitating George Washington's high standards of living for a month, I found the idea far more romantic than annoying as I did in the past.
One quick thing about the MMPI. I went through, thinking, "I sometimes hear voices when no one is speaking. Heh heh, nope. The comics are the only part of the newspaper that I enjoy. Yup! I sometimes tease animals. FALSE. What kind of monster teases animals!?" I wanted to scrawl intensely on the answer sheet, making sure they knew that I very much disliked anyone teasing animals of any kind. Then I thought, hm. Maybe these are the extreme reactions they are screening against. But, animals. They are so cute.
Anyway, I love DTS. I think it will be grand.
MMPI would be?
ReplyDeleteIt's a personality test. Lots of businesses and schools make you take it, to make sure you're not crazy. And sometimes to figure out how you'll best fit into the organization. :)
Delete