Monday, February 6, 2012

Soap Box: Depression

A good chunk of my experience with Christians leaves me thinking, "Oh man, I hope other people realize that is NOT how it's supposed to be."

I know this is revealing my pride, and the fact that I think I know everything.  But aside from that, this specific event really turned my stomach.

While driving home from church yesterday, I saw another church's sign read, "We're too blessed to be depressed!"

GAG ME.  Like, I wanted to run to that sign and tear it apart.  I wanted to cover it with my arms and yell to passing motorists, "THIS ISN'T TRUE!" 

Obviously that's a personal topic for me.  I have dealt with some depression, and I know some people who have struggled with clinical depression.  You know what is the exact opposite of helpful when you're in the middle of crippling depression?  Being told that real Christians shouldn't feel that way!

I mean, what?  What Bible are they reading?  Did they miss all the psalms that God put in His Word to assure us that we can bring all our emotions and vitriol to Him?  Did they ignore Job's whopping 36 chapters of endless discussions on the cause of suffering, and how God didn't actually explain so much as say, "I AM GOD, OKAY?"  And did they skip the part of the Passion where Jesus sweats blood because he's so freaked out about what is to come (and asks to get out of it)?

The way I understand Christianity is this:  throughout joy and throughout pain, whether we feel deliriously happy, apathetic, or depressed, we look to God.  We look to Him in thankfulness, in hope, and in anger.  God can handle all our emotions.  Turning them off, or worse, pretending they aren't there, helps no one.

So if you're depressed, don't worry.  You can be blessed at the same time.

3 comments:

  1. AMEN! I actually think that sometimes God blesses us most *through* depression. How better to realize how big and awesome and good God is than to have him provide for you and sustain you through the darkest and most debilitating emotional places? And what better opportunity to trust God and show off his goodness and power in your life?!

    I, um, would have totally torn down that sign with you. In fact, if you want, I can drive down to Peoria and help you deface it tonight :- P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said by both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trisha, it is a sad fact that many Christians equate Christianity with being happy and blessed, and any emotional or depression problems (or any problem for that matter) can be solved with prayer. I wish that were true, life would be so much easier. We often promote Christianity as if it were a magic elixir like those that unscrupulous pitchmen would sell to the rubes and whose primary ingredient was alcohol. When the problem isn't solved, people think that Christianity doesn't work. But Christianity is NOT supposed to solve our problems, it is supposed to make us aware that we have salvation and put us into a closer relationship with God. How did the message get so twisted?

    ReplyDelete