Turns out, I'm generally an optimist and a bleeding heart.
On the way to work, my car was rumbling ominously, so I dropped the speed. Which was of the good because pretty soon my tire blew and I pulled off the road to the gut-churning smell of burned rubber. Movies are brain-dumbing, because when I got out to check, I had to forcibly keep myself from backing away, because WHO KNOWS? the car might fireball from...you know...a blown tire.
But mostly it was exciting! I got to call into work and say I would be late. An old guy stopped and asked if he could help. I forced my mom out of her sickbed to drive me to work, and my dad took it into the shop for the new set of tires it so desperately needs.
I know that I'm weird in that I tend to get excited about horrible (or boring) things. Blown tire? Adventure! Unanticipated hair cut? Reinvention! Stains on your shirt? A story! Overblown blood vessels in my eyeball? Drama!
I like this about myself. Better to greet the mundane and the annoying with a smile than a frown, I say.
What gets me pessimistic (and angry!) is people being stupid. I hate me some people who pick on others. I did not know that this was a hot button of mine, but lately people have been picking on or subtly criticizing people that I don't even particularly care about, and I RAGE LIKE A WOMAN SCORNED. Mostly to my mom, but still. Sometimes I tell people to stopit.
Know thyself--I'm getting there, Socrates.
I loled at your paragraph of if thens. See, I need you here to put that kind of spin on things that happen in my life! Seth busts his lip? Automatic popsicle delivery! Ants under my kitchen sink? Great science experiment! Mice in between the office floor and the kitchen ceiling? ...I've got nothing. Got anything?
ReplyDeleteAlso, it took me FOREVER to read the sentence, "I hate me some people..." I would scoff, but it's late.
I read Dusty the if thens paragraph and he snotted. Success!
ReplyDeleteI find that Adventure! works for most situations, possibly including mice. I mean, the right mice-hunting gear, and it's definitely in the running for epic.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I thought of you when writing "I hate me some people" but then I remembered Joss Whedon and decided that it is my privilege to abuse the English language. :)
So I was feeling all happy-go-lucky reading this post and all of a sudden - BAM - negativity. What the heck? A post vomiting positivity turns sour. It was just (insert witty Barney Stinson made-up word here.)
ReplyDeleteJenna
Hm, I didn't even think of it that way! Those were just two things I realized about myself, and I thought I actually made the negativity rather funny. But also apparently I can be wildly moody. :)
ReplyDelete