Wednesday, December 10, 2014

So Much Joy

I've been walking on clouds the last couple days.  So much of my "but I don't know details!" anxiety has disappeared, because, well, I know some details now!

I Skyped with Argyris on Monday, and I cannot overstate HOW IMPORTANT it is for me to see his (and Dina's) face.  It is utterly bizarre trying to plan this massive life transition alone, half a world away from my fellow planners.  He filled me in on some visa information, and most importantly, on my job!

I'm definitely going to be teaching classes for the women in the safe house, along with another teacher (as yet undecided).  Classes run from 10-4, which is my DREAM SCHEDULE.  I'll essentially be doing pscyhoeducation, and I am so excited.  When I first started at DTS, I remember being super interested in psychoeducation (basically, this means teaching psychological and healthful skills), but getting sidetracked by traditional counseling where you don't so much lead and teach as walk beside and encourage.

Anyway, there will be morning and afternoon classes based on topics like anger management, self-esteem, co-dependency, finances, employment, parenting, and an optional Bible study.  THIS IS SO AMAZING.  I love these topics!  I love how diverse the topics are!  I want to teach these topics SO BAD and learn while I teach and talk about them all the time and oh my gosh.  This is so completely perfect.

Plus, on Wednesday mornings I will lead the women in going through the 12 Steps.  This originated with alcoholism, but it has since been used by all sorts of groups based on the premise "I need help from something bigger than me to overcome this issue."  And the best part--on Wednesday afternoons, the leaders (including me!) will be participating in our own 12 Step program!!  I'm so excited!  I've wanted to find group counseling ever since my growth at DTS group, and here is one worked into my job!  Agh, I can't wait!

Having a concrete picture of what I'll be doing has been so encouraging.  On top of that, I have been supported by some really amazing men.  At work, Tyler has been a 100% cheerleader for pursuing my passion and helping me realize abused and neglected women really is my passion.  At Woodland, Joel has talked with me and worked with me in creating space for me to work with the church in raising support.  At TFC, Mike has started opening doors for me finding support here in Dallas.  And in Greece, Argyris is emailing me often, answering questions and just speaking such lovely prayers into my life (this last Skype he assured me he was praying that the awkward few months between graduation and moving would be meaningful for me).

Working with women who have been trafficked, it is easy for me to slip into "men are evil!" mentalities.  I am SO GRATEFUL to have such wonderful godly men who see a passion and a purpose in my life and are going out of their ways to help me accomplish it.  It really brightens my soul.

PLUS PLUS PLUS.  We had a staff meeting at my counseling center, and I sat by this guy Jeremy.  He is an intern as well, but he works a different day, so we've never talked before.  I told him about moving to Athens to work with women fleeing sex trafficking, and he said, "I think I know who you're working for."

"Dina and Argyris Petrou!?"

"Yeah.  At the Greek Bible College?"

"YES."

He went there with his wife TWICE in the last year.  He lived in the school's apartments where I will likely be living!  He met Dina and Argyris, and he heard them lecture on sex trafficking!!  I am so blown away by this tiny world we live in, and I'm feeling extra encouraged by Jeremy's extreme excitement and love for their work.

I'M IN THIS.  Sure, there will be more time for grieving the people and things I'm leaving.  But right now I am full to the brim of JOY.  I cannot wait!  This is such an exciting adventure, and I can't help feeling like it is designed especially for me.

2 comments:

  1. Trish, are you studying Greek yet? You will need fluency in this language in order to counsel in Greece, unless by some chance the ladies can handle subtleties in English. Now is the time to get started! You will never regret picking up another language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the beauty of this program! The women I will be teaching will be from countries other than Greece (when they reach out to a safe house, they are transported to another country so that their recovery can take place in safety). Language subtleties will undoubtedly be a struggle, but learning Greek won't help. All classes will be in English, which makes me an ideal teacher.

      That said, Dina has agreed to teach me basic Greek just for living and not being an obnoxious American. I'll try to do a bit before I get there as well.

      Delete