I've been napping more often, which is only unusual because I've been sleeping a normal amount. This didn't strike me as odd until something deep inside told me, "This is what you do when you're stressed," and intuitively I knew that was true. It isn't really that I'm more tired than usual. I just...sleep. Oh, a bit of extra time? I subconsciously think. Might as well be unconscious, then I don't have to worry about anything.
I'm in a weird state of limbo where Greece plans are concerned. I have no new information, since I am letting the Petrous have some family time in the midst of their son's surgery and recovery. However, this means my attempts to plan my future are happening without the most important part--the side beckoning me forward. Without that lifeline, I feel like I'm stumbling forward for no reason at all.
I found out that accepting a job at my internship will, best case scenario, mean living off the same amount of money as I've been making these past two years. Possibly even less. While it has mostly been fine to live on $1,000 a month, I was kind of hoping that was a grad student lifestyle. My supervisor assured me that, as with any new business, I shouldn't plan on actually making real money for the first three years of working in private practice. This means that if I stay at my internship, I will need a second job. A job...like nannying. Although it feels a bit humiliating, I'm not above telling my bosses that I was mistaken--counselors don't actually make good money for awhile, and could I please continue to work for them? I'm sure they would say yes.
What worries me is Greece. If Greece is temporary, say three or six months, and I return to Dallas...what will I return to? I could work at my internship well enough, but my bosses will have to find someone to replace me. That means looking for a new second job.
It feels so much like life in Dallas would be easy. Well, not easy. This whole continuing-to-live-on-the-poverty-line is not great. But if that's what it means to work in private practice, where better to do it than somewhere I have an understanding, supportive second job family? Am I an idiot for giving that up to move somewhere new? Does there come a point in maturity where pragmatism outweighs passion?
But then I think--God uses the foolish things of this world to shame the wise. It's feeling incredibly foolish to walk away from a career laid out for me with minimal obstacles. If it's foolish to go to Greece, does that mean I should?
But then I think--there are plenty of foolish things that I don't think God is necessarily leading people to do, like when I ate a bag of Twix candy bars. God might love using ridiculous situations to show his glory, but that does not mean all ridiculous situations are his specific plan. What if this is my pattern of leaving a good place, of being scared of the intimacy and commitment of settling down?
But then I think--what "pattern"? Why am I determined to view all my personal revelations as necessarily bad? So what if I moved from Peoria to Jackson to Fatick to Peoria to Dallas? Each time I moved, I felt peace that it was within God's plans, and in every place I found a new family--people who cared for me and encouraged me to grow, people I could serve and love and miss. I don't think any of my moves were wrong. I think, for whatever reason, God gave me a passion for seeing new places and experiencing new things, and he has given me many opportunities to live this passion. Why think of that as a bad thing?
But then I think--well, isn't it? Aren't community and commitment good things?
But then I think--of course they are, but why can't both life paths be good? Staying is good, and going is good. They both offer separate rewards and separate challenges, but one is not necessarily better than the other, nor is a decision to follow one necessarily what the rest of my life will be characterized by.
But then I think--
But then I think--
But then I fall asleep.
Trisha, as usual your ability to relate to us via the English language is a treat for me. I just wanted to say that I still faithfully read this blog, and I sometimes wish I had some revelation that I could share with you to either make a decision easier or to relieve your anxieties. But in regards to Greece vs. low paying internship in Dallas, I am at a loss. I suspect whichever you choose, or maybe whatever you choose, you will do well at it and will enjoy it. Myself, I badly wanted to be a history teacher but when I went to college in the late 60's history teachers were poorly paid and engineers were well paid. I chose engineering, and I had a good career and was well compensated. But sometimes I wish I had taught history instead. Who can know what is best? You have a strong faith, and this will serve you well no matter what choices you make. I wish the best for you. I admire you and I am glad that I know you.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Tommy! It very much feels like a decision between two good choices--which kind of makes it harder. I appreciate your support very much!
ReplyDelete