Thursday, May 27, 2010

Coming Home

One of the best things in the world is returning to people I love and who love me back after a long separation. Hugs are one of my all time favorite things, and there is nothing that guarantees hugs like coming home from Africa.

I've only been in the States for two days, and already I feel like I have seen everyone and done everything. I went to lunch with Lindsay, and the Wineinger boys showed up. Nick accused me, "You went to Africa for months and didn't even get a tan!?" Which is absurd, because I've been worrying about tan lines for Lindsay and Nathan's wedding.

I went to church, and saw so many of my absolute favorite people in the world. I went to the Monahan's house, because they are my second family. Emily came too, and when it was time to bust out the popcorn, I stole Joe's seat so I could cuddle with her. Now, I've tried that before, and mostly she just puts up with me. But this time she put her arms around me and cuddled back! My face lit up, and I giggled like a foster kid experiencing love for the first time. I immediately felt stupid for feeling so giddy, but it made me happy. College must take touch-phobic people and turn them into hugging machines. At least, it did for me and Emily.

Mostly, it's incredibly strange to be home. Or rather, it's incredibly strange that it's....not strange. Five months in Africa seemed like it would be an eternity, but I find that little has changed besides the chairs in the fellowship hall. I still fit in with people. I still fit in with my family.

Probably it will be weird to stay here. I haven't remained in Peoria for more than a month in....three years? I guess. And now it is my place of residence. I'm mostly okay with that, although there are a few people I would like to transplant from Jackson to up here.

Oh, and I just have to say that IT IS SO PRETTY HERE. Driving to Princeville today to set up Lindsay and Nathan's reception, I was just in awe of how gorgeous the fields and green grass and picturesque blue sky with puffy white clouds were. It made me want an expensive camera.

1 comment:

  1. Tricia, thank you, thank you, thank you! I have the honor of being your first follower on this new blog, and I really look forward to reading it. I think I may be a Tricia junkie....!

    ReplyDelete